Aunt Katie's Tamales
3 stewing or roasting hens
6 onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic
1 bottle (2-oz.) Grandma’s Spanish Seasoning Chili Powder
1½ bottle (1-oz.) Chili Powder
4 pints stewed tomatoes
1 pound margarine
1? can (1-oz.) ground cumin seed
1 28-oz. Quick Cream of Wheat (can add a little if not thick enough)
2 or 3 cans (6-oz.) pitted medium ripe green olives
Corn meal and extra large pot
(1) Cut up chickens and boil in large pot (can debone after they have cooked awhile)
(2) Slice onions and garlic and cook in 1 cube margarine – until golden
(3) Drain tomatoes and chop a little – then heat a little
(4) After chicken has boiled and is tender, add onions, garlic and tomatoes
(5) Put seasonings in a bowl and dissolve with a little water. Seasonings can
be added according to taste.
(6) Then add Cream of Wheat, stirring in till slightly thick.
(7) Add cumin seed and olives, the margarine can also be added to taste.
(8) Simmer slowly until Cream of Wheat cooked.
(9) Make Polenta (about 4 cups). Line bottom of glass pans with polenta and
top with tamale mixture.
(10) Reserve some tamale mixture to heat as sauce.
Seasonings and margarine can be added to suit taste. Can be made day before. Heat in oven before serving. One-half recipe makes 3 9x13 pans and 1 9x9 pan.
Pair with Ferrari-Carano Zinfandel