Our recipe for Yanni’s Italian Sausage strata with yellow squash, zucchini, thyme and fresh sourdough is a perfect match to serve with our Siena or our Fiorella Chardonnay.
- 16 ounces Yanni’s Italian Sausage, cut into ¼ “½ wheels
- As needed olive oil
- 2 each yellow onion, medium sized, peeled, cut into ¾” wheels
- 3 each yellow squash, cut in ½” thick ½ wheels
- 3 each zucchini, cut in ½” thick ½ wheels
- 16 each Gluam Farms Eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup Clover Stornetta Heavy Cream
- To taste Kosher salt
- To taste black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 slices Costeaux Bakery Sourdough Bread, crust removed, 1” cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Valley Ford Estero Gold Cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stainless-steel sauté pan. Pan sear the cut sausage and reserve. For the onion, preheat a stainless-steel sauté pan in a 450-degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Season the onion slices with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the heated pan, place the onions in the pan and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Flip the onions and continue to cook until well caramelized, about another 10 minutes. Cut the caramelized onions into ½” pieces.
Pan sear the cut squash and zucchini, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the cream to the whisked eggs and generously season with salt and pepper.
Evenly spread the butter over the surface of a 9” x 12” oven proof dish. Evenly spread the diced bread, sausage, squash, zucchini, thyme, caramelized onion and 1 cup of the grated Estero Gold Cheese in the buttered dish. Add the egg mixture, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, then gently stir to make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Cover with plastic and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pull the strata from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Evenly sprinkle the remaining cup of grated cheese over the strata and bake until it is lightly puffed and the center is not jiggly, about 40 – 45 minutes.